Frequently Asked Questions
Does Sealions have a Health and Safety policy?
- Details of our full Health and Safety policy can be downloaded here. Our teachers are all qualified through the Amatuer Swimming Association (ASA) or the Swimming Teachers Association (STA) many also have a pool rescue award. Our lifeguards are qualified through the Royal Life Saving Society and have a National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ).
Are there any rules I need to be aware of?
- Children must not run on the poolside or in the changing areas.
Young children must be supervised whilst they are not in lessons, especially in the changing rooms.
Whilst we appreciate it is sometimes necessary for a child to be assisted in changing areas, we also respectfully remind adults to respect the privacy of some of our older swimmers.
We do not feel it is acceptable for an adult to enter the changing area of the opposite gender.
Children 8 years old and younger can use the changing room appropriate to the gender of the accompanying adult but we feel children over 8 years old should use the changing room appropriate to their gender.
We appreciate there may be exceptional circumstances which make this difficult for some parents, if this is the case please ensure that we are made aware and we will provide alternative changing facilities to accomodate.
Are there any additional pool rules?
- Additional pool rules can be downloaded here.
Can I stay and watch?
- Absolutely, at Signhills pool there is seating provided on the poolside and there are blue overshoes in the changing room to put on prior to entering the pool hall; please use them to keep the pool area clean or bring your own indoor pool shoes. At Havelock there is a separate viewing room with seating.
Where do I go once I arrive?
- At Signhills pool there are two entrance doors, the left door leads directly to the girls changing area and the boys is on the right. In each changing room there is an internal door that leads directly to the poolside. If the session is about to start you can leave your child with their teacher and watch from the poolside benches. If you arrive a little early please don't worry, you are welcome wait with your child on the poolside but we do ask that children waiting for their session to start are supervised at all times.
At Havelock pool the main doors open onto the viewing area. The boys changing room is on the left and the girls is on the right, both rooms have an entrance onto the poolside. You may accompany your child into the changing room but parents are not permitted onto the poolside. Once your child has gone through to the pool area you can return to the viewing area if you would like to watch.
Can I ask for my child to learn with a friend or sibling?
- Places in groups are allocated based on ability, we find this allows for more focused lessons and the children tend to progress faster and more confidently this way. We will try our best to accomodate your request if at all possible, but children will be held back if we try to place beginners with much more able students. Please don't worry if confidence is a concern, our children often make new friends within their group very quickly.
How can I pay?
- You will receive an invoice for the course of lessons in advance of them starting; it will have information of your child's course dates and lesson details.
We accept a cash or cheque payment at the pool on payment weeks only (see the appropriate full course schedule for specific dates). Payment can also be made to our address or by bank transfer - details of which can be found on your invoice.
Once your payment has been processed you will be issued with a blue enrolment card; this is used as your ongoing receipt for all payments so please keep it safe for your own records.
Do they need to bring anything?
- All you need is a swimming costume, a towel and a smile. We provide all the equipment your child needs at the pool and if we don't have a smile at the start of the session we will do our best to get one by the end of it.
Of course if you have any other questions you are always welcome to contact us and we will do our best to help